The ABASI POINTE Certification program is recommended for athletic trainers who wish to enhance the training with their athletes by learning about how to conduct science based ABA training with their athletes. The certification allows trainers to learn all about data based assessment and training, and learn about specific behavioral interventions used to enhance sports training with athletes and decrease coercive coaching methods.
What Does POINTE Certification Training Include?
POINTE Certification training includes the utilization of data based ABASI training methods and encompasses:
- The instructor participating in a training of the procedures by the ABASI consultant.
- Demonstrating competency of procedures in multiple trials for which an ABASI consultant will lead and provide constructive feedback.
- The receipt of supplemental materials including a flash drive which contains content, forms, and Excel templates to facilitate ease of intervention implementation.
NOTE: Participants in the certification process will receive a copy of the POINTE Manual, which serves as an invaluable guide for how to use ABASI interventions with their athletes (as applicable to any sports genre).
ABASI POINTE Certification
- In order for a studio to advertise and promote the benefits of the ABASI POINTE Certification, trainers/instructors/coaches must be certified in the POINTE methodology and techniques.
- An ABASI consultant led, on-site POINTE Certification training will be provided for any facility located within a 30-mile radius of Tampa, Fl. This is the recommended approach for learning the POINTE methodology and certification
- For facilities located outside of 30 miles of Tampa, Fl. a virtual training format will be available. If the facility prefers on-site training by an ABASI consultant, additional fees will be charged for travel expenses.
In order to maintain certification and stay current in your training and updated on new ABA technologies, a yearly certification fee is required. The certification renewal fee includes the following:
- A quarterly ABASI newsletter.
- Updates will be provided to all certificants of new advances in ABA research specifically related to the sports realms
- Updates to procedures and curriculum.
- Two free hours for new and/or updated procedures. Note: training hours may vary based on individual needs.
- A POINTE Certificate will be provided to instructors, as well as, recommendations for advertising and promoting their services to prospective students
- Flyers to advertise the POINTE training in their studio.
- Teachers/instructors will have access to an ABASI consultant to ask questions about intervention implementation or assessment at any time.
- Twice yearly, ABASI consultants will provide a 2-hour “refresher” course at the certificant’s training facility and address any questions post certification. The “refresher” course is provided in addition to the 2 hours of training offered yearly.
- An ABASI consultant will assess and provide feedback regarding the certificant conducting the POINTE training.
*Note: Training hours are provided as an average. Training hours will vary in length depending on the individual trained. Additional fees will be accrued for additional training hours.
In summary, the annual renewal fee will provide:
- 2-4 hours of additional training (2 hours for refresher course, plus two hours for any updated procedures yearly)
- Access to an ABASI POINTE consultant year round with any questions about intervention implementation.
- Continued training and fidelity checks of intervention implementation by an ABASI consultant.
- Updated training regarding new or modified interventions